Once Chen saw his teacher breaching a wall with his fist at the competition of karate masters. Chen was under great impression for several days after this sight. Even though he had known that his teacher was a great master, he was so much impressed that he could think about nothing more but that.
Chen wanted so much to learn to breach a wall with a fist as well, but for a long time he didn`t dare to ask his teacher about that. All in all his desire to own this secret prevailed and, having chosen an appropriate moment, Chen asked his teacher a question:
- O Sensei, you can so easily breach a wall with your fist, and no matter how many times I try, it doesn`t bother the wall. What is the secret?
- In order to breach the wall with your fist, you need to strengthen your spirit as well as your fist. And to achieve it, hard trainings for many years are needed.
-Tell me, o wise Sensei, is there any faster way to learn to breach a wall?
- Yes, if you are interested in the result only, - answered the master with a smile on his face.
- And how fast is this way?
- Well I think it`s up to one day.
Chen couldn`t believe his ears. - How to do it? - he asked, being happy because the master was going to discover his secret and a long way of the learning process would be shortened.
- By the help of a sledgehammer which is standing round the corner. - said Sensei grinning.
- But in this case the sledgehammer will breach the wall, not my fist.
-Why do you care if the result for you is breaching the wall only?
- But I wanted to learn to breach a wall not with a sledgehammer, but with my fist just like you!
- You want to breach a wall only to demonstrate others how strong you are. But it is in this desire the weakness of your spirit is hidden. When your spirit gets stronger, there won`t be any need of breaching walls to prove your strength.
-But how will I find out that my spirit became strong?
-You`ll become truly strong only when a desire to become stronger disappears in you.
- But how is it possible to become stronger without wanting it?
- You understood nothing at the end. Breaching a wall is just an exterior demonstration of your inner power, which doesn`t necessarily have to be demonstrated externally. No matter how strong a person may seem externally, if he is unbalanced and impulsive, then he is not a warrior, but simply a fighting cock and a squabbler who is feeding his ego. You want to achieve just an exterior result, but you won`t become a master until you understand that it is not the result which is important but only your effort directed at strengthening of your spiritual power. Spiritual power is not breaching walls with your fist, but your ability to hold your balance, be unprejudiced in any life situation.
Author: Stanislav Milevich
Translator: Nataly Zhemchugova